When a property changes hands, it signals an exciting new chapter in both the buyer’s and seller’s life. In 2023, typical wine bottles or fruit baskets simply won’t cut it anymore – it’s time to step up your game with unique and personalized closing gifts that leave a lasting impression and build lasting relationships.
From tech gadgets made for the smart homes of today to one-of-a-kind trinkets that echo the owner’s personality, this blog post is packed with innovative gift ideas that communicate not just gratitude but also appreciation for your client’s distinct taste and preferences.
Whether you’re a seasoned realtor or a novice in the field, join us as we unpack these surprising finds that are sure to be remembered long after keys are exchanged.
Our article provides a curated list of personalized gift ideas for real estate closing gifts for buyers and sellers. From client-specific gifts such as custom return address labels or engraved pens to cleaning services, candles, smart gadgets, dining experiences, and high-quality cookware, we offer a range of thoughtful options to show appreciation without breaking the bank. These suggestions aim to foster meaningful connections with clients and leave a lasting impression.
Best Closing Gift Ideas for Buyers
When it comes to closing gifts for buyers, sometimes sticking with traditional options can be a safe bet. These classic gift ideas not only show your appreciation but also provide practical value to the new homeowners. Let’s explore a couple of popular traditional closing gift ideas for buyers:
- Custom Welcome Mat: Imagine the delight on their faces when they step over the threshold of their new home and are welcomed by a custom-made welcome mat, featuring their new home’s address. It’s both practical and a lovely decorative touch for their entryway.
- Housewarming Plant: A potted plant symbolizes growth and is a wonderful addition to any new home. It’s a living reminder of their new journey in their property.
- Home Improvement Store Gift Card: Give them the means to tackle any home projects that may arise with a gift card to a local hardware store. It’s a gift of empowerment and utility.
- Monogrammed Towels: Help them infuse their new bathroom with a touch of luxury with monogrammed towels. They’ll love the personalized and elegant feel they add to their space.
- Homeowner’s Toolkit: Every new homeowner needs a good toolkit. You’re providing them with the essential tools to tackle minor fixes and projects around their new property.
- Local Artwork: A piece of local artwork or a cityscape painting can serve as a beautiful reminder of the community they’re now a part of. It’s an aesthetic piece with sentimental value.
- Smart Home Starter Kit: A set of smart home devices, like a voice-activated smart speaker or a programmable thermostat, adds convenience to their life. It’s the gift of a tech-savvy home.
- Cookbook: Help them settle into their new kitchen with a cookbook filled with easy-to-follow recipes. Cooking in their new space will be a breeze.
- Personalized Cutting Board: A cutting board engraved with their names or new address adds a personal touch to their kitchen. It’s a unique and sentimental gift.
- Wine or Champagne: Present them with a bottle of wine or champagne to celebrate this momentous occasion. It’s a classic way to toast to their new home.
- Home Warranty: A home warranty is a valuable gift that offers them peace of mind in case of unexpected repairs. It’s a practical and reassuring gesture.
- Magazine Subscription: A subscription to a home or interior design magazine is a gift that keeps giving, providing them with inspiration for their new space.
- Local Restaurant Gift Card: Encourage them to explore the local dining scene by gifting a restaurant gift card. It’s an invitation to savor the flavors of their new neighborhood.
- Decorative Candles: Scented candles or decorative candle holders create a cozy atmosphere in their new home. It’s the gift of ambiance and relaxation.
- Cozy Blanket: On chilly evenings, a warm and cozy blanket will keep them snug and comfortable. It’s a gift of comfort and warmth.
- Personalized Keychain: Present them with a keychain that holds their new house key. It’s a practical and meaningful reminder of their new place.
- Neighborhood Guidebook: Compile a thoughtful neighborhood guidebook with local attractions, recommendations, and essential contacts. It’s a helpful resource to explore their new surroundings.
- Board Game Set: A collection of board games is perfect for family game nights, creating bonding opportunities and hours of fun in their new home.
- Fruit Basket: A basket filled with fresh fruits adds a touch of health and vitality to their kitchen. It’s a gift of freshness and well-being.
- Fire Pit: An outdoor fire pit allows them to enjoy evenings in their backyard with friends and family, making lasting memories around the fire.
Best Closing Gift Ideas For Sellers
Just as buyers deserve thoughtful closing gifts, sellers also appreciate recognition and appreciation for their role in the real estate process. When choosing closing gifts for sellers, it’s essential to consider items that are both practical and memorable. Here are a few innovative ideas that can have a lasting impact:
- Personalized Address Stamp: A custom address stamp with their new address is not only practical but also adds a personal touch to their correspondence.
- Spa Day Gift Certificate: After the stress of selling, a spa day is a wonderful way to help them unwind and rejuvenate. It’s the gift of relaxation and self-care.
- Gourmet Food Basket: A basket filled with gourmet foods and snacks allows them to indulge in culinary delights, creating a gastronomic experience.
- Home Cleaning Service: A professional cleaning service to prepare their new home for them is a gesture of thoughtfulness and convenience.
- Outdoor Furniture: Stylish outdoor furniture for their new patio or garden will enhance their outdoor living space and create a comfortable haven for relaxation.
- Custom House Portrait: Commissioning an artist to create a beautiful portrait of their former home is a sentimental and unique keepsake of their time there.
- Professional Photography Session: A photography session to capture the beauty of their home before they leave is a gift that preserves the memories of their old house.
- Subscription Box: A subscription box that aligns with their interests, such as a wine club or book club, is a gift that keeps giving and caters to their personal tastes.
- Framed Closing Documents: Framing and displaying their closing documents is a unique and sentimental way to celebrate the successful sale of their home.
- Personalized Welcome Sign: A welcome sign customized with their family name for their new front porch is a warm and inviting addition to their new home.
- Home Spa Kit: A collection of spa essentials, from scented candles to bath salts, is a gift of relaxation and pampering they can enjoy in their new space.
- Customized Yard Sign: A customized yard sign that says “Sold” serves as a memento of their successful sale and transition to a new chapter.
- Cooking Class Certificate: A cooking class is an inspiring gift that encourages them to explore new culinary horizons, perfect for their new kitchen.
- Family Portrait Session: A family portrait session captures special memories, creating a visual record of their time in their previous home.
- Wine or Liquor Set: A selection of fine wines or spirits is an indulgent gift for them to savor and enjoy.
- Home Technology Upgrade: A gift card for home tech upgrades, such as smart lighting or security systems, makes their new space more comfortable and secure.
- Personalized Photo Album: A photo album allows them to cherish their old memories and create new ones in their new home, preserving the stories of their life.
- Membership to Local Club: A membership to a local golf club, gym, or social organization is an invitation to socialize and connect with their new community.
- Milestone Clock: A clock that can be customized with their home’s important dates, such as the date they moved in, is a unique and meaningful keepsake.
- Customized Recipe Book: Create a personalized recipe book with their favorite recipes or local dishes, ensuring they can continue to enjoy their culinary favorites in their new space.
Should You Give A Personalized Closing Gift?
A personalized closing gift approach not only leaves a lasting impression but also shows your clients that you care about their transition into their new home. As a licensed real estate agent myself, we usually make a personalized gift basket completely from scratch.
Imagine you are a first-time homebuyer who has just closed on your dream home. As you settle into your new space, you receive a customized gift basket filled with items tailored to your hobbies and preferences.
This gesture not only shows appreciation but also makes you feel valued as a client. It deepens the connection by highlighting the realtor’s understanding of your unique characteristics and desires.
Here is one of the actual gift baskets we are working on for one of our upcoming closings! We haven’t wrapped it yet, but it’s almost done!
If the client has kids, we will include something for the kids in the gift basket, For example, if the have a a young girl, we might include some sort of Disney toy. If it’s a young boy, then maybe add some Hot Wheels. It obviously also depends on the kid age.
Here is the other gift basket we are giving this same buyer because he has a child that will be moving into his first home!
If it’s a seller that is moving out of state, we will add something unique to the state they are moving to. For example, if they are moving to Texas, we might add some Texas hot sauce. You can order some stuff off Amazon and then add it into the gift basket.
Depending on the client, we still sometimes just give them an expensive bottle of Champagne at closing, but a personalized gift basket it much cooler and more meaningful.
For instance, if you know that your client is passionate about cooking, gifting them high-quality cookware or a subscription to a popular recipe service can leave a lasting impression.
A personalized closing gift that reflects their passions and interests demonstrates that you have taken the time to get to know them on a personal level.
Are Closing Gifts Necessary?
Closing gifts in real estate are not a strict necessity, but they are a thoughtful and often appreciated gesture. Here are some stats worth considering:
- According to a 2021 survey by the National Association of Realtors, 64% of homebuyers noted that receiving a gift from their realtor after closing positively affected their overall experience.
- The same survey indicated that in cases where a realtor offered personalized gifts reflective of the buyer’s or seller’s interests, there was a reported increase in client satisfaction by approximately 84%.
- A separate study conducted in the same year found that a remarkable 73% percent of clients who had received closing gifts said they would recommend their agent to others — illustrating the power of this simple yet thoughtful gesture in generating referrals.
While closing gifts are a nice touch, they are not the only way to show your appreciation. Providing exceptional service throughout the real estate transaction, maintaining good communication, and helping clients navigate the complexities of buying or selling a home are equally, if not more, important.
In the real estate industry, going beyond the transactional aspect and building meaningful connections with homebuyers is crucial.
Closing Gifts Can Forge Meaningful Relationships
When it comes to forging meaningful connections with homebuyers, going above and beyond the transactional aspect of real estate is key. One unique idea for a closing gift that stands out is inviting buyers to dine at a local restaurant.
By offering this experience, you not only provide them with a memorable meal but also give them an opportunity to feel welcomed and connected to their new community
Inviting Buyers to Dine at a Local Restaurant
Imagine the excitement of closing on a new home and then receiving an invitation from your realtor to enjoy a meal at a nearby restaurant. It serves as more than just a gesture; it’s an invitation into the fold of local neighborhood life. Sharing a delicious meal allows buyers to experience the cuisine and ambiance of their new surroundings, fostering a sense of belonging.
- By offering a meal at a nearby restaurant, you are inviting buyers to explore and enjoy the cuisine of their new surroundings, fostering a sense of belonging. This personalized approach shows your clients that you genuinely care about their transition into their new home.
Additionally, this invitation creates an opportunity for you as their realtor to spend quality time with them in a relaxed environment. It allows you to connect on a more personal level, strengthening your relationship and potential referrals.
Overall, going above and beyond with closing gifts can leave a lasting impression and differentiate you from other realtors. By providing an experience that goes beyond the transaction, you can build stronger connections with your clients and contribute to their overall satisfaction in their new home.
Commissioning custom artwork or getting a drawing of their sold house framed is another thoughtful option.
This unique gift showcases their property in a creative and artistic way, allowing them to cherish the memories of their former home.
Home Improvement Gift Cards
Giving sellers gift cards to reputable home improvement stores like Home Depot or Lowe’s offers them an opportunity to make updates or adjustments to their new space.
This practical gift shows that you understand the ongoing demands of homeownership and can be a valuable contribution as they settle into their new residence.
For instance, imagine a seller who is passionate about gardening. Instead of a traditional closing gift, you could surprise them with a gardening kit complete with high-quality tools and seeds for their new garden.
This thoughtful and personalized gesture not only reflects their interests but also demonstrates your attention to detail and understanding of their needs.
The key is to choose gifts that align with the seller’s lifestyle, hobbies, or future aspirations, ensuring that they feel seen and appreciated beyond the transactional aspects of the real estate process.
When it comes to selecting a meaningful and personalized closing gift for buyers or sellers, potted plants are a timeless option that adds natural beauty and health benefits to homes.
A potted plant not only enhances the aesthetic appeal of a new space but also symbolizes growth, new beginnings, and longevity. This thoughtful gesture shows your clients that you care about their well-being and want to contribute to creating a nurturing environment in their new home.
There are various types of potted plants to consider based on your clients’ preferences and the level of maintenance they are willing to commit to.
Some popular choices include succulents, which are known for their low maintenance requirements and unique shapes; flowering plants like orchids or roses, which can add a burst of color and elegance; or air purifying plants such as spider plants or peace lilies, which promote clean air circulation indoors.
Selecting the right plant that aligns with your client’s lifestyle and home environment demonstrates attention to detail and personalization.
Potted plants can serve as a visual reminder of the meaningful connection you’ve built with your clients throughout the real estate process. You can even go the extra mile by including a personalized note or care instructions specific to the type of plant you choose. This establishes an emotional tie between you and your clients, fostering long-term relationships and potential referrals.
Imagine presenting a pair of beautifully potted orchids to your client who has just moved into their dream home. As they admire the vibrant flowers and lush foliage, they will be reminded of the successful transaction you facilitated. This simple yet thoughtful gesture can leave a lasting impression.
By gifting potted plants, you also contribute to sustainable living practices. Encouraging clients to incorporate green elements into their homes aligns with the growing trend of eco-friendly living. Potted plants improve air quality, reduce stress levels, and create a soothing ambiance, making them a valuable addition to any household.
Now that we have explored the charm and benefits of potted plants as closing gifts, let’s turn our attention to another elegant and functional option: engraved pens.
A Classic and Elegant Gift Option is an Engraved Pen
This practical item not only serves as a reminder of a successful sale but is also something sellers can use in their day-to-day lives. Personalized with your brand or logo, it reinforces your professionalism and acts as subtle marketing whenever they reach for it.
An engraved pen is a classic choice for a closing gift that combines functionality with elegance. As an essential tool for signing important documents and contracts, a high-quality pen can serve as a symbol of professionalism and sophistication. By choosing to personalize the pen with the name or initials of your clients, you add an extra touch of thoughtfulness and exclusivity to the gift.
Engraved pens are not only practical but also have sentimental value. They can be used for years to come, reminding your clients of their successful real estate transaction and the exceptional service you provided. Whenever they use the pen, whether in business meetings or everyday tasks, your name will be associated with reliability and trustworthiness.
There are various styles and types of pens available to suit different preferences and budgets. From sleek ballpoint pens to luxurious fountain pens, you can select one that aligns with your client’s taste and lifestyle. Consider factors such as weight, grip comfort, ink quality, and overall design when choosing the perfect pen for your clients.
Just as a well-crafted piece of jewelry complements an outfit and adds a touch of elegance, an engraved pen elevates the writing experience and represents professionalism in every stroke.
Engraved pens are also versatile gifts that can be given to both buyers and sellers. For sellers who are transitioning into a new chapter of their lives, receiving an engraved pen can symbolize the start of new opportunities or even retirement. On the other hand, buyers can use their personalized pens to embark on their homeownership journey with confidence.
Imagine presenting an exquisite engraved pen to a first-time buyer as they sign the final documents for their new home. As they grip the pen, feeling its weight and gliding it across the paper, they will be reminded of the significant milestone achieved and the dedicated guidance you provided throughout the process.
Custom Return Address Labels
One simple yet thoughtful gift idea is custom return address labels. Moving into a new home often means updating contact information for various purposes, such as bills, subscriptions, and personal correspondence. Custom return address labels can make this process easier and more convenient for buyers settling into their new homes.
Imagine a young couple, Jenny and Mark, who have just purchased their first home. Amidst the chaos of moving boxes and furniture, they receive a package in the mail from their real estate agent. Excitedly opening it, they find a set of beautifully designed return address labels featuring their names and new address.
“What a thoughtful gesture!” exclaims Mark as he looks at Jenny with a smile. “These custom labels will save us so much time when it comes to updating our contact information.”
Not only is this gift practical and useful, but it also showcases attention to detail on your part as the realtor. It’s a way to leave a lasting impression while providing something of value to the buyers.
While custom return address labels make for an excellent traditional closing gift idea, there are plenty of other unique and personalized options to consider as well.
Custom return address labels are a small but meaningful gesture that can simplify the process of updating contact information for buyers settling into their new homes. These personalized labels typically feature the buyer’s name and new address, adding a touch of elegance to their outgoing mail.
How It Enhances Client Realtor Relationships
Closing on a property is often a memorable and significant milestone in a client’s life. A personalized closing gift is more than just a tangible item; it symbolizes the agent’s care, attentiveness, and appreciation for their clients’ trust and business. These thoughtful gestures can leave a lasting positive impression, strengthening the bond between realtors and their clients.
Personalized gifts show that you’ve taken the time to understand your clients on a deeper level. It demonstrates that you see them as individuals with unique tastes, interests, and preferences rather than just another transaction. This attention to detail reflects positively on your professionalism and dedication.
For instance, if you know that your buyer is an avid art enthusiast, gifting them a piece of artwork from a local artist or arranging for a private tour of an art museum showcases your understanding of their passion beyond the real estate transaction itself. This level of personal touch elevates the client experience and fosters meaningful connections.
Personalized closing gifts also have the power to spark conversations and create long-lasting memories. When a client sees their name engraved on a custom-made item or receives something that aligns with their hobbies or interests, it becomes a conversation starter – they will not only remember the gift but also the agent who took the time to understand them.
Think about receiving a generic gift card versus receiving a gift card to your favorite restaurant – which one makes you feel more valued? The personalized gesture shows that someone put thought into making it special for you.
Role in Referrals and Repeat Business
Now that we have explored how personalized closing gifts enhance client realtor relationships, let’s dive into how these gifts play an essential role in generating referrals and repeat business.
Giving personalized and unique real estate closing gifts can go a long way in enhancing the relationship between clients and realtors. By offering a thoughtful gift that aligns with the client’s interests or needs, realtors can demonstrate their attention to detail, care, and dedication beyond the transaction itself.
By investing thought and effort into selecting a closing gift, Realtors can create a memorable experience for their clients while leaving a positive lasting impression. This strengthens the bond between realtor and client, fostering trust and loyalty.
What’s your favorite closing gift idea for your buyers or sellers? Let us know in the comments below.
Further Reading: Do you need more real estate leads? REDX is one way. Read our ‘Is REDX Worth It?‘ article to learn more. Are you looking for a great CRM to manage those leads? Check out our ‘Real Geeks Vs Chime‘ article.
Looking for some humor? Check out our treasure trove of Funny Real Estate Jokes, One-Liners, Roasts & Puns and brighten up your day!
All the best and congrats on your upcoming closing! Show your thanks and get them a great gift!
About The Author: This article was researched and published by Tim Schroeder. As a husband and wife real estate team residing in Florida, Tim Schroeder brings deep expertise with over 8 years of experience as a licensed real estate agent.
Deb and Tim Schroeder have earned numerous real estate industry awards and recognitions. They have been recognized by Orlando Magazine as a “Top 100 Real Estate Professional” as well as earned Top Producer Designations with the Orlando Realtor Association for 6 years straight.